To properly protect yourself from the always present danger of huge awards for auto liability, it is imperative that you maintain the proper level of coverage for your particular situation. Standard automobile policies typically have limits of up to $2 million available. If you require additional protection for your assets we recommend you consider a Personal Umbrella Liability policy which can provide you with additional liability limits of up to $5 million.If you have any doubts about the appropriate level of automobile coverage that's right for you, contact our office. Our experienced insurance professionals will be happy to guide you through the excellent plans available through reputable auto insurers to pinpoint the coverages best suited to your needs.
Compulsory Auto Policy Coverage
- Section A -Third Party Liability - The insurance company agrees to pay on your behalf sums that you become legally liable to pay for property damage or bodily injury caused arising out of the ownership, use or operation of the insured vehicle. This coverage is compulsory and we recommend a limit of no less than $2 million be purchased.
- Section B - Accident Benefits - The insurance company pays for medical aid required after an injury results from a car accident. This coverage is compulsory and covers the named insured, his spouse and dependent relatives. There is also payment available for the loss of income, death and funeral benefits.
- SEF 44 / Family Protection - This endorsement pays when you, your spouse or dependent relatives are injured in an auto accident where the motorist responsible does not have insurance or does not carry enough insurance to cover your bodily injury claim. The limit of insurance provided by this coverage is the difference between the limits you carry on your policy and that carried by the motorist at fault. In the event that the responsible party carries no insurance, the coverage will be limited to the third party liability amount provided by your policy.
Section C - Optional Coverages
- All Perils - This the broadest form of physical damage coverage. It pays to repair all direct and accidental loss or damage to the automobile, including its equipment, subject to policy exclusions. A deductible applies to this coverage.
- Collision - Pays to repair damages caused to the insured automobile caused by collision with another object or upset, subject to the policy exclusions. A deductible applies to this coverage. This coverage is usually combined with comprehensive or specified perils coverage.
- Comprehensive - Pays to repair damage from anything other than collision or upset subject to policy exclusions. A deductible applies to this coverage.
- Specified Perils - This coverage pays to repair damages caused by the following specific events: fire, lighting, theft or attempt there at, windstorm, earthquake, hail, explosion, riot. A deductible applies to this coverage.
- SEF 13D (Limited Glass) - This endorsement excludes claims for damage to the windshield unless the damage is caused by fire, lightning, theft or attempt there at, windstorm, hail, earthquake, explosion or riot.
- SEF 20 (Loss of Use) – This endorsement covers reasonable expenses that may be incurred for the rental of a replacement vehicle, taxi or public transportation, while the insured vehicle is being repaired or replaced due to an insurance claim. Subject to the limit of coverage purchased.
- SEF 27 (Liability for non-owned automobiles) – This endorsement provides coverage for loss or damage to certain types of non –owned automobiles which are rented by you. It is commonly used to cover a vehicle that may be rented for a vacation in Canada or the USA. It provides coverage for damage to the rented vehicle that is caused while you rent it. Subject to the limit of coverage purchased.
- SEF 39 (Accident Waiver) – Guarantees that your driving record will not be downgraded as a result of one at fault loss, provided that you have not had a criminal code conviction or any single conviction warranting a surcharge. You must be over 25 years of age and have 6 or more years of claims free driving to qualify for this coverage. If an accident is incurred the coverage is deleted at renewal and cannot be purchased again until you are 6 years claims free.
- SEF 43 (Wavier of Depreciation) – This endorsement provides coverage against the effects of depreciation when an insured loss or damage occurs within the first 30 months of purchasing a new vehicle. The cost of the damage would be covered on a Replacement cost basis rather than the actual cash value of the vehicle at the time of loss.
Contact us today for more information about Auto Insurance or click here to obtain a quote.
Click here for Frequently Asked Questions